Akira Kurosawa's Dreams

⊆ 2/15/2006 12:47:00 AM by HT | ˜ 0 comments »


Akira Kurosawa has made 4 of my 20 favorite movies of all time, The Seven Samurai (1954), Ran, Based on Shaeksapear's King Lear story (1984), Rashomon (the way of Samurai) 1950, which inspired Jim Jarmush's 1999 Ghost Dog, The Way of the Samurai. And finally my most favorite as they say : Dreams, Yume 1990. I think however, that if you can see any of Kurosawa's movies, you're probably in for a treat. Kurosawa is a great writer and director, and his name on a film really means something. Here is another oppinion -- "Truly one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. I saw this ......film for the first time in 1993 and it was placed forever in my mind as one of my greatest cinematic experiences. I agree with what another reviewer said about this film, that it is not for everyone. It is very artistic in that the cinematography carries a lot of the story and some may become bored with it. Hollywood has a way of brainwashing a lot of viewers into needing a lot of dialog or action. If that's what you're after, you wont find it here. You have to use your brain for this one. This movie is Japanese and what little dialog there is, is in subtitled for the American viewer. So you may need to do a little reading. This is not simply a movie; it is several short, amazing stories that stem from the mind of Akira Kurosawa (a genius in my book). One is like a beautiful fairytale and another is a nightmarish fable and still another is a terribly haunting ghost story, there are others but all are done very well. This film needs to be seen in the letterbox format as it was intended. The cinematography, as I said earlier, contributes so much that it should be viewed completely. I really don't know what else to say about this movie except that if you have an artistic streak and like to see how movies can become art I would highly recommend" -- from IMDB.


0 Responses to Akira Kurosawa's Dreams

= Leave a Reply